Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Does Higher Ed have a Role in this?

Well, my hometown (and current locale) of Indianapolis made top 3 on a list of largest cities with graduation rates under 35%. You can see the report here.

The article touched me in two ways. I went to Indianapolis Public Schools [the inner city school district of Indianapolis and perennially abused by the local media] from kindergarten - sixth grade and would have graduated from an IPS school if not for desegregation and busing.

Secondly, I see every SAT and ACT score report sent to my school. And, I see the trend with my own eyes that of the students that we attract from some of these schools may have good GPAs but not a corresponding test score.

So, I just wonder where do the students go even if they graduate?

It seems like back in my day there was a school for everyone despite your academic achievement (or lack there of). Almost every school wants to raise their USNews profile, wants to bring in a smarter class and who doesn't want to spend their travel dollars better.

What happens to low performing school districts when you aren't the most academically talented, when admissions counselors don't visit your school, and when the price of college goes up much faster than inflation?

I remember turning down a GA position because the school had open enrollment. I was horrified thinking of the students that had been admitted to my previous highly slective institution. So, even if there were more schools that opened their doors (and pocketbooks) would you want to work there?

I'm not sure.